Saturday, April 21, 2018

Karl Ove Knausgaard

Say what you will about Karl Ove Knausgaard, but his recent piece in the New York Times is excellent. The essay focuses on the literature and politics of Russia over the past two hundred years. Part of what I enjoyed most about the essay is its accessibility: Knausgaard orients his readers to Russia's literary titans, and makes a convincing case for the role of stories -- and storytelling -- in Russian identity. For an honest look beyond the standard view of Russia under Putin, give Knausgaard's piece a read. As I say, it's excellent (and it's making me want to read Turgenev).

2 comments:

  1. I was glad to see that he had made it to Brezhin(?) Meadow. On the other hand, reading the piece made me wonder whether he had spent as many days in Russia as Russia has time zones: in any case, it seemed to be a quick trip. I have to say that I didn't much mind this in a piece of his about the US the other year, but then I know something about the territory and could make allowances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, George: there was a rushed quality to it; seems like they were there for only about a week. But I appreciated the candor and accessibility of the essay: there was something oddly readable about it all...

    ReplyDelete